Friday, March 13, 2009

Random reading

I am currently reading Freakonomics(Thanks for the suggestion D) I liked the common sense approach that the authors bring to the book. It was always a book that I wanted to read. It reminds me of the books that Malcolm Gladwell writes where he talks about how certain trends in culture originate from a simple beginning. The authors of freakonomics even have a blog: http://freakonomics.blogs.nytimes.com/ It is definitely worth checking out. Hopefully the post about the rejected chocolate sin tax in Scotland NEVER gets proposed here. Apparently there will be a sequel to this book, should be interesting. I have also read a recent book called Moriarty. It is a fiction book about Sherlock Holmes arch-nemesis Professor James Moriarty. It was a fun read. In one of Sir Conan Doyle's books, Moriarty and Holmes fight on top of a waterfall where presumably they both fall and perish. In Doyle's later work Holmes is said to survive the fall, but not Moriarty. But in books by other authors Moriarty is said to also have survived the fall. The book I read tells of how Moriarty survived the fall and is trying to keep his criminal empire from falling into other hands. I like how modern day authors try to retell older stories from the past. Sometimes it works, other times not so much.

No comments: