Thursday, June 12, 2008

Summer Reading or Summer Dreading club

Ah yes the joys and perils of shelving during Summer Reading club at all libraries. Its amazing how many books kids, parents go through, to get prizes like hamburgers or something equally exciting like a life size eraser. For a page like myself, it can get frustrating when it seems like you have shelved the same Magic School Bus book about their trip to the volcano, like for the fifth time that same day. I can only imagine what it will be like at libraries like the Los Angeles Public library or the New York City library. Parents really go all out it when they participate in this event. Another thing that happens, and you can attribute this to the hot weather as well, is that the library gets packed. I work at two libraries, but one in particular really gets filled up on hot days. This is really apparent in the children's room where the amount of people and the sometimes stalling air conditioning make it feel like the Sahara. I like shelving alot, sometimes it can be overwhelming because it seems that the books that need to be shelved multiply like a virus or alien. Also sometimes there is a time crunch when its closing time and you try to pick everything up, but all in all I like the job. It should be an interesting summer, I can't stand hot weather, so I'm hoping that the AC is on super Arctic blast at the two libraries I work at.

No comments: