Thursday, September 4, 2008

Mission Accomplished...

Well, I finally had my first taste of Bird's Nest soup. It is basically a soup that is made from the nests of a bird found in southeast Asia. The nests are found in dark caves, and it is made from the saliva of the bird. The bird is called a swift. They are harvested from the caves, and are sold at restaurants from the U.S. to Hong Kong. So I asked a co-worker to order it for me who spoke Chinese. Because the last time someone offered to order it for me they spoke in English, and the order ended up being egg-flower soup. Now I'm not blaming the restaurant or the person who ordered for me. These things happen because of a simple mistake or language barrier. So to be on the safe side I asked someone who spoke Chinese to order it for me. I must say I was really satisfied with the soup. It was really good, and surprisingly filling. Yeah, the cost was high for soup; it came around to $32, but I think it was worth it. There is a store next door to the restaurant that sells herbs, that had packages of bird's nests and the prices were crazy. Some were like a thousand dollars. I'm glad I was able to finally try it. I don't think its the last time I will have it either. Hopefully I can find some places that might have the soup for a little bit less. However, I do sometimes splurge on stuff that I'm interested in so I'll probably end up paying the same price or maybe even more.

No comments: